Carbon fibers or carbon fibres (alternatively CF, graphite fiber or graphite fibre) are fibers about 5–10 micrometres in diameter and composed mostly of carbon atoms. Carbon fibers have several advantages including high stiffness, high tensile strength, low weight, high chemical resistance, high temperature tolerance and low thermal expansion. These properties have made carbon fiber very popular in aerospace, civil engineering, military, and motorsports, along with other competition sports.
Carbon fiber has the following excellent properties.
● High specific strength and specific elastic modulus
● High heat oxidation resistance
● Conductivity, radio wave shielding
● Excellent chemical and corrosion resistance
● Good dimensional stability
● Good fatigue and creep properties
● X-ray transparent
● Excellent vibration damping
● Abrasion resistance
● High biocompatibility